Monday, September 29, 2014

WoW Talk: Warlords of Draenor Leveling to 90

Hi interweb! How are you doing? I'm doing great! (See how I imitated Panser from the YouTube? That is because we are talking about World of Warcraft today!) 


So the new expansion, Warlords of Draenor, is coming out on November 13th. Who is excited? I am excited! Are you? So apparently, it comes with great perks! I am not going to go into all the details, so I'm going to leave that to the "professionals"LOL. Anyway, here are some links for more information on the what? when? where? how? of WoD: 
TradeChat's video on general WoD facts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQbqkiAYSs
TradeChat's video on WoD level 90 boost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UxnGHshCI
An Explanation of the Boost from Gamestop: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/you-can-now-pay-60-for-a-level-90-world-of-warcraft-character/1100-6418216/ 


But what I want to address is the leveling. So, when you get WoD, you have a level boost. You can automatically just level a character from level 1 to level 90. Now, this is a little bit controversial among the gaming community. 


On one hand, a new player can really see what the game is all about, get to socialize with more experienced players, and learn the ropes of their character. The abilities, the strengths and weaknesses, the lore, and basic stuff like that. They can explore their toons, and they can explore the game with the "cool crowd." I know I am always so happy and glad whenever I receive advice from more experienced players. And it generally can open a whole world for new people in a more convenient way. But of course, it comes with a cost. Of money, so Blizzard claims it is compensated. But it is an opportunity to see what it is like, and have other characters work up to that. So you are playing two games at once, if you are leveling other characters. You have the leveling game, and the actual game game. 

But on the other hand, you just pay for an easy way out. Many older gamers have been around since the very first expansions, and they have worked at their characters to get them where they are today. Just taking the easy way out, instead of learning, questing, dungeoning, grinding. You could say that it just takes a big portion away from the game, and noobs will be noobing around in places of experienced players. These players worked at their characters. It took time. And in their eyes, if it could be as easy to level as paying up, then.... what is the point? What was all of that worth, then? It seriously looks like Blizzard is being a sellout here, just grabbing money wherever they can. Ripping off players, getting more greedy with every year. Many feel that the game is going bad, taking turns in the wrong directions. 


And just for the record: I am in no way a pro at any of this. I am a noob at World of Warcraft. I admit it. I know only the tip of the Warcraft world and what it has to offer. There. I said it, so my standing is pretty clear. I do have to agree that it does make leveling very easy, and it is unfair to the older players. Even though if given the chance, I would boost to 90. Just because noob. Noobishness. So irony and hypocrisy rolled into one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment